Wednesday, June 12, 2013

New York



Wednesday 6/12: We traveled a little over 200 miles to Marathon New York. Most of the trip was on I-81 which took us across the Blue Mountain potion of the Appalachians, then thru the Endless Mountain area of North East Pennsylvania. In the coal region we took a detour thru McAdoo, home town to my parents. My fathers parent’s bar is still on Main Street, it is now called Butlers Bar and it looks exactly as I remember it. I haven’t set foot in McAdoo since circa 1975 and I wasn’t sure I would recognize much, but it looks the same. I showed Millie where Tony Midash’s Bank used to sit, Joe Midash’s Plumbing business and home, and of course the Midash Tavern. At the end of town I circled the block and much to my surprise found the house my mother grew up in. 




We are overnight camped in a small campground just off I-81. Everything here is soggy, the owner said today was the first day in a week they haven’t had rain. Some days they got as much as three inches. I asked him about the state fairgrounds in Syracuse and got some disturbing news. We will be parking on grass at the rally and they also have had lots of rain.  

No comments: