Friday, June 7, 2013

On the road again



Thursday June 6th was day one of our honeymoon road trip. We traveled north on route 17 from Myrtle Beach South Carolina to Norfolk Virginia. Next we crossed the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay to the southern tip of the Delmarva Peninsula. Our 350+/- mile day’s journey ended on a thin strip of land overlooking Hog Island Bay on the ocean side of the peninsula. The campground is part of my membership camp club so our cost was Zero.

The view across to the ocean brought back some memories for me. I passed by here in 1998 on my circumnavigation of the Peninsula aboard my boat “Still Sassy”. Back in the 80’s when I was scuba diving I did a few wreck dives off the coast here.

This is one of those end of the earth locations, zero cell phone or internet. Will try to post this tomorrow sometime.



Friday June 7 we drove all morning thru light rain to stay ahead of Tropical Storm Andrea. Our location for the next few days is Elk Neck State Park in Maryland. It is at the extreme other end of the bay from yesterday’s camp and on the western shore.

The drive in the rain was an easy task with mostly light traffic. We did have two noteworthy instances. For some unknown reason my under the counter coffee maker leaped out of it’s bracket, bounced off the table and landed on the floor, breaking the carafe somewhere along the way.

Three times on the way up the road the engine hic-upped or bucked. It was very quick but we both noticed it. I did some of my best diagnosis work or maybe I was just lucky but I told Millie I thought I knew what the problem was and we would stop at the next Wal-Mart to investigate. Why Wal-Mart, because they have big RV friendly parking lots and sell auto supplies. Just as I suspected the engine air filter was saturated with water, a quick run into the store and we had two new filters and a new coffee maker. Now I have another project on my list, I need to reposition the air filter intake to a location away from road spray.

No comments: